St Michael’s Mount Remembrance Run 2017 – results

St Michael’s Mount Remembrance Run 2017 – results

Photos thanks to Charles Whitton Photography


The race limit of 500 runners was reached at the 11th St Michael’s Mount Remembrance Run.  Conditions were not kind to the runners as they ran into a north westerly 40mph head wind.  Temperatures were ideal for running but not so good for the 40 marshals who gave up their Sunday morning to help out.  All the runners were requested to wear something red and it was amazing to watch the stream of red snaking down the beach into the distance.

A two minutes silence was held before the runners made their way from the start at the Folly Field car park in Marazion, along the beach to the turnaround point near the wooden bridge about two miles away.  The going was tough underfoot as the runners had to deal with soft sand, shingle and seaweed as well as run in the sea in places as it was high tide – all of which sapped the energy in their legs.  Throw in the fact that they also had to cross the river twice on the beach and it all led to a very hard four mile run!

Well done to John McWilliams of Mount Bay Harriers who crossed the line first in an amazing time of 24.57 considering the conditions he had to run through.  Following him in 25.18 was Jonny Colaco of Newquay Road Runners and James Kirton of Truro Running Club was third in 25.25.  For the ladies, first home was Hannah Fox of Mile High in 32.14, with junior Olivia Mannall in 32.37 and Sarah Newing of Mud Crew in third in 32.57.

A time limit of 1.20 was set and all bar three runners made this time.  Storm Plymouth entered 120 runners and arrived in two coaches, one of which was a double decker!  As well as lot of runners entering from Cornwall and Devon there were also entrants from Dursley in Gloucester, Taunton in Somerset, Shropshire and the Isle of Wight.

Many thanks to the St Aubyn Estates for the use of Folly Field car park, to Cormac for ensuring that the access of the beach at Long Rock car park was safe whilst the rock armour work is going on and to Mounts Bay Sailing Club for the use of their club house as race HQ.  And not to forget the 40 marshals who stood out in the cold for one-and-a-half hours to ensure that it was a safe run!