Following a SW XC meeting the other weekend, the following will apply for entries to the club & inter Counties Champs at Bicton on 6 Jan. The notes handed at the County Champs will be as the last couple of years ie that ALL County selected athletes with a club (whether competing for their school or not at the Champs) MUST enter & pay their entry fees direct by the CLUB closing date, any non-club/school athletes will be entered when I complete the final County entry:
The Championships were put out for tender & the SW Athletics Academy won the contract (as the summer T&F SW Champs)
– Entries will be slightly more than previous years at ?3:50 (U11), ?5:50 (U13, U15, U17) and ?7:50 (seniors).
– Closing dates will be earlier, to fit in with the preparation of a programme (and Christmas): 11th December individual + club entry (14th last year), 17th county entry (2nd January last year). We would have liked a later date for county entries, but this was the best that could be agreed. It still fits in with county championships, and as before counties will be provided with a spreadsheet of individual + club entries. Although this is earlier than last year, it is still comparable to other large events.
– TBA County entry limits and declarations: Last year we did away with on-the-day declarations, so that counties entered up to 12 in each category by the Tuesday before the event, and all entered could represent their county (i.e. no declarations). With the closing date now before Christmas, a decision is to be made on whether a higher number of entries is allowed (e.g. 15) and maybe 8 declared on the day. (my own feeling on this is that 8 is too small for this SWIC, I would prefer 12 seniors & 10 for other age groups – any comments?)
– There will be an online registration system similar to last summer?s T&F championships, but also electronic spreadsheets for convenience of block entry of club and county teams, and paper alternative. County team managers will be able to submit a spreadsheet and post off a cheque.
– No entries on the day, all entries paid at the time of entry.
– There will be an U11 (min age 8) development race (non-championship, medals for all finishers);
– The U20/senior race will incorporate a south west inter-university match. Several colleges and universities are already interested this, and Bicton College itself (now offering sports courses as well as the traditional agricultural courses) should be involved.
– The senior races will also feature ?club mob match? trophies or prizes for teams of 12 (men?s race)/8 (women?s race);
– The event will generally be organised with a much higher media profile (including TV and radio), include more ?personalities?, and will feature a glossy programme. Hopefully a sponsor can be found, which would allow us to award prizes.
Roles, Rules and Paperwork
– the ‘team’ are looking to make the following changes to the rules in place for last year?s event, these are TBA:
o Non South West participants will be allowed at the organiser?s discretion. They would not be eligible for individual medals, but could score for a club based in the South West (subject to the usual rules of club eligibility).
o Non-championship categories and prizes may be held in conjunction with the event, such as mob matches and U11 development races (as described above). These won?t be official England Athletics championship events.
If any club would like me to pass on comments on these changes, please reply before the end of this week
– There may be a car parking charge ? parking at the college is very limited, and for the event to grow the sharing of transport needs to be encouraged.