Veteran’s Report on the Remembrance Day Run

Well it’s November and so one might expect a bit of weather – and so yes there was a bit of weather!  It could have been a lot worse mind, but we got away with it.  Forecast was for a south west 8 gusting to force 9, and that was about what we got and, fortunately, the rain held off till after most of the runners had finished.

Several memorable moments to savour.  Well to start with, the first river crossing of Red River was deep enough to make you think “I wish I was sitting in front of a cosy coal fire in the warmth of my own home”, but I wasn’t and, even if I was home, I haven’t got a coal fire!  And this crossing was the start of hell.


Ok, so we all  got wet feet and then we had to contend with some dramatic waves swamping us as we were all running as close to the shore line as we dare to keep away from the soft sand.  Eventually I found a better running line on what I considered slightly harder sand further up the beach.  But you had to mix and match the whole way with a constant 45 mph full in your face.  Was I looking forward to the turn around point or what!  Great support from the marshals though it was difficult to hear anything they were saying above the roar of the wind.

THE TURNAROUND POINT – Yep, I could see it coming up and what a lovely feeling it was.  This was all going to be a piece of p*ss on the return journey.  Well yes it was helpful to have the wind up your a*se for a while, but then it got a trifle difficult about a mile before the finish because the tide  had come up that much more I just couldn’t find a line to run on anything  even slightly helpful underfoot.  I tried everything, with all my experience at beach running there was no way out of it, and the nearer I got to the finish the softer the sand and lesser wind assistance as it was blowing from the side and trying to take your legs away from you.

I had been tracking a young Cornwall AC runner, James Waldie, since the turnaround point.  I knew he was in my grasp and I finally came up on his shoulder just before Marazion Station House car park.  The going was getting softer and slower as the wind came around on your shoulder.  Should I go for the kill here or wait another half mile and then try and out sprint him.  As it happened I just seem to sail past him and kept on going, though underfoot it became more and more like golden syrup! 


Red River approached for the second time and less than half a mile from the finish.  The choice was to take a longer line across the bridge or go for it straight through the torrent.  Well, no question is there.  Glad to say that the local Coastguard team turned out in the event of any unforeseen accidents.

400 metres left and I wasn’t quite sure what position I was in to be honest.  Secretly I’d been hoping for a top 3 finish, but with Mike Robinson, Nathan Jolly and Sam Hill in the race I had to settle for 4th overall, but got 1st in the over 40 age group.  But I did take a few scalps along the line.  No record times obviously with these conditions but a brill run and not for woozes… whuzes.. wusses {how do you spell that} 

One worrying thing was my prize. … a FIRST AID KIT – is that sending a message to me?  Oh yes and a wine glass with the wrong spelling of rememberence….

But everyone seemed happy at the end, even Yvonne, who was understandably was quite stressed at one point,  well no, in fact at several points dear of her.  Thanks to the marshals for standing out in that wind and eventual rain for well over an hour.

(As edited by YT, who has no tact whatsoever and commented to Geoff about his lack of punctuation and capital letters!!)

Geoff Letchford


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.